Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Do I have a choice?

I might have to get a MRI and i was wanting to know if you can ask them to drug you up or does that have to be o.ked by your doctor? if you had a brain MRI before pelase tell me all about it like how long it took and ECT
Answer:
When I had my MRI, I had to have my Dr. Give me a prescription for an anti-anxiety medication before the procedure. It was the same for my mother when she had hers. Medications need to be ordered by a doctor. For an in-patient MRI (some one already in the hospital), there is a doctor's order and the medication is administered by a nurse before the patient goes for the procedure. An out-patient should get a prescription from their Dr. and take it before the have the procedure. (Make sure there is some else to drive after wards, or take a Taxi) I do not believe the MRI technicians are allowed to administer medication, at least they are not at my hospital. If you are already anxious about the procedure, or if you have even a touch of claustrophobia, talk to you Dr. and get a prescription. You will need to be absolutely still for about 40 minutes, and if you are already nervous, it will be hard.
MRI's are not painful.They put you through a machine and watch what is happening on a screen. Nothing to it!
Your dr can give you something for anxiety, like xanax or klonopin if you are really scared of it. I haven't had one of the brain but I had one of the cervical spine and shoulder. I didn't take anything and I was fine. It is hard to lay still for that long, but maybe you could go to sleep. the machine is kind of loud, but they give you earplugs.
I don't know if they can give you anything to have you sleep through the whole thing, because you have to be awake for it, especially because they are trying to see how your brain is working. When I went for my MRI it took approximately 45 minutes. Basically, you go in there, fill out paper work, then you have to remove any metal or magnetic objetcs, like your jewelry, bra, ect. then they take you into the room where the machine is and have you lie there, while they insert an I.V. After that is inserted you lay on the table and the table slides into the machine. They will take pictures of your brain, without the radiation that will be going through the IV, and then they take pictures of your brain after the radio active fluid is running through your arm, and into your brain. After that you grab your things and you can go. The results will be read to you by your doctor. Hope all goes well. Good luck!
you have a choice
ohh, they are not painful at all. all you do is lay on this thing and put your head in this oval thing so it doesnt move, then they slide you back into the machine and it takes pictures of your brain. thats all
If you're claustrophobic, you will need to plan in advance. They don't have an open bar or a way to just pass out Xanax willy-nilly. But then if you know you're claustrophobic, you should see if there's an open MRI machine available.
You always have a choice - if you dont want the MRI, dont have it. However they are an extremely useful tool to help diagnose a disease or condition - or rule out anything wrong. MRIs are not painfull, but they are noisy and you have to lie still while you are in the tube so if you are claustrophobic that may be a problem Talk to your doctor, sedation may be require but thats up to your doctor to decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net