Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Do you need to know physics or chemistry to become a doctor?

I'm in my final year at school and I am currently doing biology, and I want to go into medicine. I have been told that physics and chemistry is really important, especially in the university courses. Is this true?
Answer:
Yes, you need Biology 1 and 2, Chemistry 1 and 2, Organic Chemistry 1 and 2, Cell Biology, Genetics 1, Physics 1 and 2, Physiology, and Anatomy...trust me, you need it all. I finished med school last spring and it is tough but worth it. Best of luck to you!
Yes, it is true. You'll be expected to take a lot of chemistry and physic classes.
Why I could never be a doctor. Those are not my strong points!
you are right..you need biology,physics and chemistry for medicine...your maths also must be excellent.
At least in the American system, there are prerequisite course for entering med school, including 2 semesters of physics, 2 semesters intro chemistry, 2 semesters organic chemistry, calculus level math, and 2 semesters of biology. If you're not good at physics and chemistry, and bomb those classes, then it's hard to get into med school.
That being said, while a decent grasp of physics/chem helps, it's definitely not required to be a good doctor. Certainly, these concepts help us understand on a deeper level some of the things we do, but at the same time you'd be surprised how little chemistry and physics you need to know on a daily basis to get by. Don't be worried if it doesn't come naturally to you. As long as you're willing to work hard and at least get a basic understanding of the fields, you'll be fine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net