Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Do you know the medicine for the alcoholics, that does not cause constipation side effect?

Hi guys,
I am looking for an anti-alcoholic medication, that does not cause the costipation side effect.
Right now, I am taking a medication called "Acamprosate" (I may be wrong about the spelling), and it is causing me constipation side effect, so I had to stop taking it.
Do you recommend any other meds that does not give me constipation side effect?
Thanks!
Answer:
Disulfiram (brand name Antabuse) is used for chronic alcoholism.
The majority of medications cause both contispation and of course the runs. It is just you body in particular that determines which side effect you will end up getting. I am on a lot of medications that cause constipation the best thing to do , especially if you really need that medication, is to go to the drugstore and buy a product call miralax. It allows you to go to the bathroom naturally, without any stimulant effect like pain, cramping or the runs. You must take it every night, it has no taste when mixed with water, and it is a small price to pay if you must take a medication that you need, which may cause the side effect of constipation. It does work and it is not harmful to you like laxatives are.
Yes I do, being a recovering alcoholic myself, abstainance!
You do not need any medical help to stay off alcohol except in the acute phases of detox. I know there are advances in the field that are showing that new medications are reducing the frequency of relapse in patients taking it, but are the side effects (constipation) worth it?
I have been sober for over 8 years without any medical help, expect in the early stages where I required librium to help "bring me down" and relieve the shakes. But after a week, and about a month of therapy and groups and - I know you probably don't want to hear it - A.A. - I was able to get myself together, and now I barely think even twice about it.
I have been in 5 different recovery centers, so I know what I have been through to get to this point, and you may not be ready to get there yet - only you know that, but abstainance really works - and it's really NOT hard -you may just find it hard to comprehend in your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net