Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Do pills go bad?

I mean like any medicines, like vitamins for instance. I have some vitamins here and hey are expired but its in a pill form..will it hurt me if i take it? I mean how would a pill expire?
Answer:
I am a skeptic by nature and I NEVER believe in expiration dates on pretty much ANYTHING. I always say ... yeah, right. That's just another way for you to get me to buy more product. But common sense says that EVERYTHING dies, NOTHING lives forever. So, when I find that 3 year old bottle of vitamins 2 years past its expiration date, I tend to say to myself ... better not risk it.
So, if you are a matter of days or weeks past the expiration on PILLS and they have otherwise been stored properly (i.e., NOT in a hot car or direct sunlight, etc.) then I say go for it! Also, you CAN call your friendly neighborhood pharmacist. They'll tell you their opinion of the truth.
it wont work as if it was still good.
Yes. Throw unused pills out yearly. After one year, they can become toxic
yes they do
My understanding is that medicines don't really spoil; they simply lose efficacy. Remember that when food spoils, it is because some organism (usually fungus) is using it as an energy source. I don't think fungi can exploit pills as an energy source.
When pills expired they have less effectiveness. The more time it passes the less it would work. Vitamins or pills can go bad if you take the cotton out of the bottle. The cotton, specially in the summer, helps with the humidity so your pills wont het stuck to each other and smell bad.
Yes, they do. Factors like moisture, heat, and light can cause vitamins, anti-biotics, and other medicines to decompose. These can have effects from reduced effectiveness (most vitamins) to transmuting into poison (clindamycin)
its the exposure to light and heat and time that makes a pill lose its strength or power but if u keep pills in a cool dark place but not the frig they can last past the expiration date . Max
I is a good idea never to take anything that has expired, to save a few cents. It can spoil the same way your milk, egg and meat spoils in the refrigerator.
As a solid, pills lasts longer. But with air, temperature and moisture, the ingrediants can degrade, sometimes, even to toxic materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net