Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Do you have to do pre-medical studies before applying to med school?

can't you like do another degree like in biomedical sciences or something else science related and then do the mcat and apply to med school, instead of doing the damn 4 year course.
Answer:
Every medical school has course requirements, and they are pretty much the same anywhere you look. You can major in whatever you like so long as you pick up those courses. I've known a few people to do this (my father was a chemistry major). No med school requires you to have been a pre-med major.
Alternatively, one person I know who is now in medical school was an english major, and didn't take any science courses as an undergrad. After graduating, he did what is called a post-bacc program. These are short, maybe 3 or 4-semester programs for people who already have bachelor's degrees. They offer all the science courses that are required by most medical schools (bio, chemistry, organic chemistry, etc.). I am actually considering going this route, also (I was a physics major, so I have a few of these courses already).
Check out my source for info on lots of post-bacc programs.
Good luck
Yes, you can apply to medical school with most programs or any type of bachaulerete degree. However, medical schools usually prefer a B.S or a B.A. is also acceptable. The biggest things are to have the MCAT taken, research, and volunteer experience.
I began with a major in psych and art and a minor in biology (I went from dentistry to art therapy to medicine). A science major is usually looked for and the MCAT is usual before med school. I was accepted into med. school after being advised in my state to not get a BS or BA but to go directly into my program in medicine to save 2 years of study. The dean of the med school gave me the offer. I also had no choice of where to go for internship after graduation, which was a minus for me. Be clear on the program you choose from beginning to end when you can hang your own shingle out.
Check out your state for "rules" and also the department heads and counselors to see what the possibilities are. I don't know what differences are from state to state, you will have to investigate that. Also, for clarity, I would speak with more than one person about what lies ahead for you and what your options are, depending upon what area of expertise you may choose.
I would get the things out of the way that will require you to really focus on or that you don't like or what doesn't come easy to you. It is up to you to find that weak spot and have the extra time to focus on it. The deeper in you get, the less time you will have to focus on the one thing you may need extra time with. Save down time for Fri or Sat night. You've gotta be clear in learning. You never know, just that one day you are in class hearing just one key thing that can save a life or turn a disease around for someone - and you are burnt out and dull from no sleep and partying and miss it. Who knows, if you go into research medicine, you may find a cure for _____ .
I hope you are serious about this profession. Medicine needs good people in this country right now. There are a lot of screw ups by Md's these days. Long hospital shifts and lack of rest are about the biggest cause, in my opinion. You may be aware of the number one cause of death in the US now?
Improperly prescribed and dispensed prescription medicine. Funny, it's not cancer or heart disease anymore.
Good luck to you in your studies. I hope you get through it and come out on top of your class.
There is a lot going on in alternative medicines which you may find interesting. I have found the ancient practices very effective - acupuncture, herbology, homeopathic, and Ayurveda. The Chinese, Japanese, and Eastern Indian cultures are astounding at getting results by treating the cause and not the symptom.
Pretty well any major will do, and I often recommend one of the humanities, but there are requirements. I'd suggest you scan the AAMC website: http://www.aamc.org

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post. My review is:
    Lindsay Rosenwald http://www.lindsayrosenwald.com/lindsay-rosenwald-director-republican-jewish-coalition/ Lindsay Rosenwald – Director Of Republican Jewish Coalition

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

vc .net