Sunday, October 25, 2009

Chicken pox vaccine?

I had a single dose of the chicken pox vaccine when it came out in 1995...I am now required to get the vaccine for professional school.do I need to start the regimen all over again? They are now recommending that adults get 2 doses 4-8 weeks apart...my last dose was 12 years ago.Thank you!
Answer:
Yo need to. The immunity that chicken pox vaccine confers is temporary. It could have been better to get the infection during childhood age, by then lifetime immunity will be conferred.
The best way to know whether you need a varicella vaccine or not is to get an IgG antibody test. If you have had chicken pox or got a vaccine (2), you usually will not need one.
However, as you said you only got one shot and that also a long time ago, I would think that most likely you will need 2 get both the doses again. Again, it would be best to consult a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net